The chill of winter has well and truly set in, this brings a host of challenges for our skin. Cold weather, low humidity and indoor heating can leave our skin feeling flaky, dry, dull and in need of extra care. With just a few simple adjustments to your skincare routine, you can help maintain radiant, nourished and protected skin throughout the winter season. Now we will share some valuable tips to help you maintain glowing, healthy skin during the winter months.
- Hydrate, Inside and Out: Winter weather can deplete the moisture levels in our skin, which means hydration is a top priority. Ensure you are drinking enough water throughout the day to keep your skin hydrated from within, at least 2 litres per day, more if exercising. You may like to choose a more nourishing moisturiser that suits your skin type and consider adding a treatment serum to boost hydration. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and ceramides, which help to lock in moisture and help to provide a protective barrier against harsh environmental conditions. Ensuring you are incorporating Essential Fatty acids into your diet, which help to improve your skins barrier defence from the winter elements, also found in Beauty Boosters Complexion Perfection: https://beautyboosters.com.au/collections/skincare-supplements/products/complexion-perfection
- Gentle Cleansing: While it's important to keep your skin clean, avoid using harsh cleansers that can strip away natural oils and further dry out your skin. Instead choose a mild, hydrating cleanser that effectively removes impurities without compromising your skin's natural moisture barrier. Consider switching to a milk, cream or oil-based cleanser, as they are gentler and less likely to cause dryness. Consult your skin therapist for recommendations.
- Exfoliate Wisely: Regular exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and allows your moisturisers to penetrate more effectively. However, during winter, it's crucial to exfoliate with care. Choose a gentle exfoliator with fine particles or opt for chemical exfoliants like alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs) or enzyme based exfoliants. Limit exfoliation to once or twice a week to prevent skin irritation.
- Protect from Harsh Elements: Cold winds and low humidity can wreak havoc on your skin's natural barrier. Shield your skin from the elements by wearing scarves, hats, and gloves to minimise direct exposure. Additionally, invest in a good-quality, broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays, which can still damage your skin even on cloudy winter days.
- Don't Forget the Lips and Hands: The skin on your lips and hands is thinner and more prone to dryness and cracking, it is also a lot more exposed during winter than the rest of your body. Apply a moisturising lip balm with SPF protection to keep your lips soft and supple. For your hands, use a rich hand cream and wear gloves when outdoors to protect them from the cold. Consider applying a thick layer of moisturizer to your hands before bed and wearing cotton gloves overnight for an intense hydration boost.
- Humidify Your Environment: Indoor heating can create a dry atmosphere that contributes to moisture loss in your skin. Use an humidifier to add moisture to the air, especially in your bedroom while you sleep. This helps combat dryness and keeps your skin hydrated throughout the night.
- Choose for Warm, Not Hot, Showers: Although hot showers may feel more comforting in cold weather, they strip your skin of its natural oils, leaving it more dry. Instead, choose lukewarm water for showers and baths, and limit the duration of your bathing to prevent excessive moisture loss.
Conclusion: Winter may present unique challenges for our skin, but with the right skincare routine, you can maintain a healthy and radiant complexion all season long. Remember to prioritise hydration, protect your skin from harsh elements, and adjust your skincare routine to include gentle cleansers, appropriate exfoliation, and ample moisturisation and hydration. By following these tips, you'll be well-equipped to keep your skin glowing and nourished, no matter how cold!